Monday, June 25, 2012

Workout, Doctor's Appointment and Black Bean Soup

Got in another early morning workout at the gym today, even though it ment waking up at 5:30 to do so, I'm glad to get the workout over and done with, especially on a day like today. Today I got out of work, early, woohoo, well not really, as I had an emergency doctor's appointment and it looks like I am going to have need surgery to remove my gallstone and maybe even my gallbladder.

I have been very hesitant and after having four non related surgeries in my 24 years, I didn't want to add another one to the list. But, when you have excruciating pain that comes out of nowhere, with the strength to wake a person up and bring this otherwise tough chick, to a whimpering, wheepy, I think I'm seriously dying right now mess, well then at that point something seriously needs to be done to get this problem fixed, asap. And so I am, yay a whole new set of dietary restrictions that I have to abide by. No wheat products and a low fat diet, it looks like I'm going to lose weight one way or another I guess that's way of looking at my current predicament!

Tonight I made black bean soup for dinner and dole whip, which will not be ready by the time I post, so that will have to wait for another day, but the recipe for mt black bean soup follows.

Heat 2 tbsp of grapeseed oil in a pot, add 1 small chopped onion, scallion and tomato. Saute until soft, about 3 minutes

Stir in 1 tbsp chili powder, 1 tsp cumin and salt

Saute for about 1 minute
Add 30 oz. of black beans (I didn't have enough black beans so I substituted some white northern beans)
Stir in 3 c. of water and 1/2 c. of Pace salsa. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
Using a blender, blend 3/4th of the soup until smooth.


Be very careful when blending hot liquid and only fill blender half way, cover the top with a towel just in case there is some splatter.

Mix blended soup back into the pot
*When pouring any liquid, especially when cooking, turn you spoon over and pour directly onto the spoon, this stop you get hot liquid splashed in your face or on your clothes.

Yumm
Ladle into bowl, top with cilantro, pico de gello, cotija cheese, avocado, lime juice, sour cream, salsa, tortilla chips or whatever you like.



































































































1 comment: